How To “Do” Seagrove, the Pottery Capital of the USA
Seagrove, NC is known as the Pottery Capital of the United States has around 80 working potters can be found here at any one time with around 50 shops, studios and galleries open to the public. Some potters here are ninth generation potters. Others have relocated from across the United States or other countries for internships or to get off the “show circuit” and immerse themselves in this creative, pastoral community. Even the mayor of Seagrove is a potter!
● What is Seagrove, NC? It's a rural crafts town located in #TheHeartOfNC, an hour and a half north of Charlotte and west of Raleigh. We’re 45 minutes south of Greensboro. Asheboro is the largest city near Seagrove, an easy 20-minute interstate drive. The nationally ranked golf community of Pinehurst sits 40 minutes southeast of Seagrove.
● When to visit? Thursday, Friday and Saturday offer the easiest access for the public--and the most chance to drop by a working shop to see pottery made. If it’s convenient, ask the owner to go behind the scenes and see the kiln.
● Call ahead if you plan to visit on other days of the week as most shops are family-owned, operated, and staffed. Sometimes, the potters may step out of the shop and run a quick errand.
● Visit The NC Pottery Center start your pottery quest at the official State pottery museum that showcases the history and pottery from the mountains to the sea with rotating exhibitions and one area devoted specifically to Seagrove work. It’s especially helpful if you’re trying to decide what potters you’d like to see.
● The Seagrove Stoneware Inn is a potter-owned AirBnb.
● A variety of hotels are just 20 minutes away in Asheboro.
Wine And Dine in Seagrove:
● The General Wine & Brew is a wine and beer bar. Potter-owned, that is known for its trademark glass bar that showcases the family’s collection of political, humorous, and historic buttons. The bar offers light snack foods. Food trucks are often parked on the weekends.
● Fresh Cuts Butcher and Seafood Market is the place to grab sandwiches, pimento cheese, chicken salad and NC-made pickles for a picnic on a pottery shop’s front steps. This purveyor of wine, beer, and groceries offers a hot bar and deli. Known for their country breakfasts and weekend specials, the team here is known for their hospitality and friendly nature.
Events & Festivals in Seagrove:Each year - the weekend before Thanksgiving - Seagrove welcomes visitors to enjoy the popular Pottery Festival Weekend. Two festivals celebrate the traditions of pottery making with vendor spaces open for shopping throughout the weekend.
The 40th Annual Seagrove Pottery Festival is held at Seagrove Elementary School and hosts potters and craftsman from across North Carolina and Seagrove.
Expand Your Trip:
● Consider spending a full day or afternoon at the North Carolina Zoo, the largest natural habitat zoo in the world in Asheboro, NC. An AZA-certified destination, the zoo leads animal and field conservation programs in more than 10 countries. Encounter 1,800 animals along a five-mile walking trail, take a spin on the endangered species carousel, tackle a ropes course, hop on the ZooFari tour or feed a giraffe. Walk through the seasonal butterfly garden and gardens made for kids. The outdoor art and sculpture collection is worth zoo admission alone.
● Carolina Bronze Sculpture and Garden in Seagrove offers tours by appointment. Established in 1990, the bronze foundry casts sculptures for a global list of clients. Tour the foundry, and visit their sculpture garden.
● Seagrove Orchids Seagrove Orchids is a working orchid nursery cultivating and offering nearly 220 different species of beautiful orchids. You can tour this working orchid nursery on Fridays and Saturday. All other days by appointment only. Seagrove Orchids has quickly established itself as "the orchid nursery" in North Carolina.
For more information, call the Heart of North Carolina Visitors Bureau at 336-626-0364, or visit https://www.heartofnorthcarolina.com/ for a detailed list of Seagrove Potters and their events!